Monday, February 9, 2009

Did she deliver her baby on stage?


Last night was a historical night for music entertainment. Last night was the 51st Annual Grammy Awards. The night was sizzling with great performances by so many talented artists: from Justin Timberlake with T.I., to Neil Diamond, to the Jonas Brother with Stevie Wonder, and Miley Cyrus doing a duet with Taylor Swift. But what about M.I.A? She is pregnant right? Did she perform on her due date?

That is exactly what happened. Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam better known as the rap singer M.I.A from Hounslow, London, is a second generation immigrant, like me, whose parents are from Sri Lanka. She is Tamil and a lived in Sri Lanka for quite some time. She now lives in Brooklyn and is engaged to Benjamin Brewer singer and guitarist for the band The Exit and a member of the Bronfman Family. Her music talent exploded with the highly acclaimed “Paper Planes” from the movie Slumdog Millionaire. She was asked to perform at the Grammy’s this year on Febuary 8, 2008. However, she is nine months pregnant and that was her due date!

But nevertheless, M.I.A pulled the number off amazingly well, and even with a see-through top and black tights. She performed “Swagger Like Us” alongside Jay-Z, Lil’ Wayne, T.I., and Kanye West. Her performance was mind-blowing: her being nine months pregnant and still dancing on stage. That just doesn’t take courage, but skill as well. M.I.A. shows us that anything is possible, even performing on stage when you’re about to deliever a baby. She is an amazing artist who deserves the fame she is getting. Her number in Slumdog Millionaire is very well crafted and fit the scene greatly. That is a movie everyone should see at least once if not twice. It opens your eyes to reality, I sure know it opened mine. Some of the actors in the movie are in poverty! But M.I.A says that she will perform at the Oscar Awards as well no matter when the baby is coming. Now that is what I call true determination.
In the link, it shows an aticle from the New York Daily News about M.I.A’s performance along with a YouTube clip of the performance itself.

1 comment:

  1. This post really grabbed my attention. The title is awesome. I was really curious about this topic because I did not follow up on the Grammys, so I was unaware what exactly took place. M.I.A is such a talented artist and I believe she deserves an immense amount of credit for performing on her due date! I was baffled to hear this and intrigued. Because M.I.A is 9 months pregnant you would think she would be unable to maneuver and bed ridden. This was certainly not the case, according to your post and the article (from the link). I would think it would be very difficult to be carrying around that additional weight on stage. It sounds like she put on a fantastic performance. Unfortunately the video did not work (on the link). I always knew M.I.A was a unique artist with a ton of spunk, but I did not know she was so skilled. Could you imagine if the baby came that night? That would have been absurd!

    ReplyDelete